Road Traffic Accident while Driving Abroad Claims

author image - osian

By Osian Jones

on Wednesday 3 January 2018

woman on phone near accident

Road Traffic Accidents Abroad

Irrespective of where a road traffic accident takes place, the outcome can be traumatic and leave those involved with minor to severe injuries or life-lasting conditions. If you are abroad, be it for business or pleasure, and a road accident occurs while driving, it can be difficult to know what to do.

Driving abroad has become more popular, with people using their own vehicle to enable the time spent abroad to be more enjoyable, comfortable and a lot cheaper; removing the need to organise and pay for tours or excursions. With different rules on the road abroad, such as driving on the opposite side or driving in a new, unfamiliar environment, the risk of having a road accident abroad increases.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident abroad through no fault of your own, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you claim for compensation. If you were successful in this, it could help pay towards a variety of expenses that have incurred as a result of your accident or injury, such as medical care, rehabilitation or a replacement car.

If the accident took place abroad, it is important to note that claim regulations differ in each country and the language barrier creates communication issues, adding to the already stressful scenario. Therefore, it is important to be aware of what to do if you should be or have been involved in a road traffic accident abroad.

What should I do if I’ve been involved in a road traffic accident abroad?

  • No different from the UK, if an accident were to happen overseas, one of the first things you should do is to contact the police. The law in the majority of countries is usually that the police must be contacted straight away and must be present at the scene of the accident.
  • Medical attention must be pursued immediately.
  • Try to take photos of the scene and your injuries as evidence to strengthen your case, and record as many details of the accident as you can.
  • If you are involved in an accident, you must not admit liability or sign any documents you are given and don’t understand.
  • If you were handed any documents inside the EU, the only thing you should be signing is the European Accident Statement, otherwise known as ‘Constat Amiable’. This is a way of recording and ensuring that the people involved in the accident have provided their details and any other necessary information. It is also there to provide proof of agreement on how the road traffic accident happened.
  • You will need to provide your driving license, the registration document of the vehicle you were driving and your insurance certificate, or in some cases your ‘green card’. If you have these, then make sure they are on you at all times when driving abroad.
  • Contact the information centre set up by the Motor Insurance Directives nearest to where you are abroad. The people there will be able to help you with insurance details belonging to the other party involved in the road traffic accident.


What if the accident happened outside the EU?

If your accident has taken place in a country not belonging to the European Union, the Motor Insurance Directives are not applicable when an accident happens.

You are, however, still entitled to make a claim for compensation against the driver who was negligent. It is important to contact your insurance company before you go abroad, so that they can inform you of the regulations and arrangements they have in the country you are visiting.


Making a claim for a non-fault road traffic accident abroad

If you have experienced a road traffic accident abroad that was due to somebody else’s negligence, then you should contact the right people to advise you on what to do and provide you with a good personal injury lawyer. They will then help you collate all the required documentation to prove your case.

After providing all the necessary information and evidence, your claim with a personal injury solicitor should be submitted. It must be finalised and dealt with within 3 months of processing the claim, otherwise it should incur extra compensation if you have experienced a delay.

Even if time has gone by since the accident and you feel that it is too late, it is still worth getting in touch and seeking advice.


Accident Line Direct

If you have been injured in a road traffic accident as a result of a negligent driver in a foreign country, contact Accident Line Direct for free to receive helpful advice and expert knowledge on what you should do.

We are aware that there is a lot to take in and we can appreciate that what you may have been through is unacceptable. Call us today and our dedicated team will help to determine whether or not you have a claim, provide you with step-by-step guidance and help in getting a personal injury solicitor to work in proving your case.

We also work on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning that you will not incur any fees, unless your case was 100% successful in receiving compensation.

0808 1454275

Accident Line Direct can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch today!